Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Talent hunt and Voting

There has been a flurry of talent hunt programs on television these days. "Saregama" and "Indian Idol" etc. are very popular. These shows judge the participants based on the voting by the public. Though democratic, I am not sure this is the right way to judge talent.

It appears people vote based on locality of contestant rather than the person's talent. I have been a culprit of this myself. But, I donot see this as something wrong. I voted for candidate from AndhraPradesh irrespective of his talent. I am not qualified enough to rate the skills of the top-tier contestants. So, the nearest criteria for differentiating is his locality.

The organizers need to understand this and bring in the talent factor into consideration while filtering out the contestants. I like the program "Nach Baliye" in this regard. A qualified judge's rating is also taken into account while filtering the contestants.

No comments: