Monday, October 10, 2005

'Life for Money' or 'Money for Life'

A couple of days ago, I was having a conversation related to real-estate in Bangalore with my room-mate over dinner. Soon, the discussion entered into unwarranted territory. Ofcourse, the territory is money-related. Over the course of discussion, my friend categorically declared that he doesn't care about money.

Now, I wonder where do I stand related to money. Do I want to spend my entire life for money or do I want to forget about money for life. I guess neither. Having lots of money is great. At the same time, I don't want to make earning money the sole reason for living. Spend the time at work efficiently to earn lots of money, and party hard for the rest of the time. Carpe Diem baby.

2 comments:

Deepak Babu said...

Raj, I completely agree with your point. However, one thing that normally confuses most people is the definition of "lots" (as you mentioned in "lots of money"). Leaving apart all the basic necessities of life like food/shelter/clothing, the amount of money you get is in most cases indirectly proportional to the amount of happiness. In that case, it becomes super important to define the term "lots" that I mentioned earlier. Would someone be satisfied by living in a rented house the whole of his life, or would he/she prefer to own a small apartment, or a bigger house, or a bungalow, or a couple of bungalows - the list just keep growing without understanding what would one consider "the balance between money and happiness". Just some thoughts.

Mani said...

I remember the discussion/blog with Srinath some time back in which he was talking about the same topic for a different reason. He wants to teach Physics after he earns enough money. As Deepak pointed out, enough is very subjective :).

Also, Does this mean earning money and partying all the only priorities for you? ;) I guess with you partying part can get interesting. ;)